The settlers from Maine established a community that grew into a vigorous pioneer village that included 3 churches and stores, two lodge halls a blacksmith shop and a cheese factory.    All built near the site of a 2 1/2 story tamarack fort used during the Sioux outbreak of 1862.  With the coming of the soo line railroad in 1886, most of the buildings moved to Kimball, the last burned in 1919. 

The original building site was located 5 miles north of Kimball near the intersection of County Road 8 and Highway 15.